May is the perfect time for you to finish your spring cleaning. You have cleaned your closets, garage, lawn and gardens. Why not take this opportunity to clean out your skincare and makeup products and SAVE?
May 1st to May 7th, bring in the products you want to trade in and get 10% off* all the new products you purchase!
In celebration of our 7 year anniversary, the Spa of Essex is offering you 7 seven days of savings with a “Trade-in Event”. The 7-day Trade-in Event allows you to bring any old skincare/makeup items cluttering up your makeup bag, drawers, counters, and cabinets and trade them in to save.
What to keep, what to store, and what to toss
- Mascara, liquid or gel eyeliners: 4 to 6 months (always toss out dry mascara—never add water to extend its life)
The trick is to make your mascara last is to avoid “pumping” the wand. What it does is introduce air into the mascara and if pumping is the only way to get some mascara onto the brush, it’s time to pick up a new one.
- Moisturizers, Serums, & Foundations: 6 months to 1 year
Foundation with SPF tends to go bad more quickly but because most people use this daily, foundation generally runs out before it expires.
- Powder-based products (eye shadows, blush, etc.): 2-3 years
- Lipsticks, Lip Gloss, & Lip Pencils: 2-3 years
- Nail polish: 1-2 years
When the color starts to separate, shake it and if it does not completely mix, it’s gone bad.
And remember: If it smells funky, looks gunky or the texture has changed significantly—definitely toss it out!
Making Your Products Last
Here are some easy tips for prolonging the shelf life of your products, while keeping your skin and body as healthy as possible:
- store products in a cabinet or drawer
- wash your hands before using products
- tighten/secure the cap after each use
- consider how climate and humidity will shorten a product’s shelf life
- write the date of purchase in permanent ink (use a Sharpie) on the bottom or back of the package
- toss out eye products after you’ve had an eye infection
- abide by the expiration dates on sunscreens, acne products, and prescription medications such as topical antibiotics and Renova or Retin-A
- clean brushes and bags regularly
- buy products packaged in jars of any kind (no matter how pretty they are!) because fingers getting into jars add unwanted bacteria to the contents. Most jar packaging carries a 100% risk of bacterial contamination.
- store products in direct sunlight
- share your products with others
- add water or saliva to thin out or remoisten products
- “pump” your mascara
- purchase products with broken seals or other signs of tampering
* Makeup or skincare products for trade-in must be presented at time of new product purchase. 10% off discount valid on skincare and makeup products purchased in-spa only. Discount excludes Gift Cards, Gift Card Packages and Spa Treatments.